Friday, March 8, 2013

St. Patrick's Day and International Day

St. Patrick's Day


This week we started using our St. Patrick's Day Centers. So far the kiddos have loved them! Here's a look at what we've been doing...



In this center the student picks a card and then write the number that comes before and after.


The kiddos practice counting by 2, 5, and 10 in this center. (Sorry about the glare!)


Here they are playing one of their favorite sight word games.


This center is a long and short vowel sort.

You can find all of these centers and more here.

Center Organization

I recently found this great blog post about organizing classroom centers. I wasn't happy with the way mine were so I changed it based on this post. It is so simple, I don't know how I didn't think of it myself! Basically, everything is stored in plastic baggies. You will need one gallon size bag and one or more sandwich bag per center. You put the center cover/instruction page on the top so that you can see it through the bag. The pieces go in a small plastic bag (sandwich size) and are placed behind the instruction page. Then, you put any recording sheets in the back. My kids have done a great job of keeping the centers organized with all pieces in the right place. You can see the detailed post at Shelly Gray's blog Teaching in the Early Years. She has pictures and much more detail than my short run-through.

International Day

We also had a school-wide "International Day". Our class learned all about China this week. Then on Friday, every class brought a food item from their country. I was surprised and proud of how adventurous the kids were with trying all the different foods. They had a blast! Here's a peek at some of our class decor we created.


Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Your St. Patrick's Day activities look great. I know your kiddos are loving them. =)

    International Day sounds like so much fun. I would love to see my kiddos try some new foods.

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower! I'm a Tennessee blogger too! Stop by when you get chance!

    Waving from The Teacher's Chatterbox,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your sweet comments Heather and Rebecca! I will be stopping by both of your blogs soon!

    ReplyDelete